Saturday, July 7, 2007

中休みDay 2: Rock This Town

After Osaka, I needed an escape... We all needed an escape. Kyoto happens to be 45min away from Osaka (by local JR train), so come morning, we were all Kyoto bound. The difference between the two cities was astounding! Though Osaka and Kyoto share some features being both part of the Kansai region, they have such a different character and history--- Osaka is very business-oriented and modern. Kyoto, on the other hand, is relatively slow-paced and (minus the ultra modern train station) deeply rooted in tradition. All in all, I have to say that I ended up liking Kyoto better and wishing that we had decided to stay there instead of Osaka. But, whatever- there were good times to be had throughout Kansai.

2nd Day Itinerary:
-Kiyomizudera
-Kinkakuji
-wandering about

Kiyomizudera
The first touristy place we hit after making a food stop, was Kiyomizudera. It's a Buddhist temple known all throughout Japan for its main hall that looks something like a huge wooden stage supported by hundreds of pillars. Though it may not sound impressive, trust me, it is. So much so that it is apparently a nominee for one of the "new" 7 wonders of the world. Plus, the view of Kyoto from the top... unbeatable.

The trek up into the mountains is likewise rewarded with window shopping of colorful Kyoto souvenirs and free mochi given away by vendors aligning the main road (Chawan-zaka) up to the top. Though most everyone disagreed, my vote goes for the banana-strawberry mochi, mmm.

The Buddhist temple is also especially famous for its water that is said to be healthy and bring good fortune. The trick is that the waterfall, Otowa-no-taki, diverges into three streams from which one can choose what area of your life to bring luck to---> be it love, academics, or health. And much like the one wish rule, you can only drink from one stream.... per visit that is ;-) This is actually my third visit to Kiyomizudera, and seeing as how the magic water worked out so well the last two times (getting into Yale, getting an awesome boyfriend), I thought I'd go for the one I hadn't drunk yet~ cheers to a long life, right?
Only the site was closed for repairs... so Japan has managed to see fit that I make another pilgrimage to Kyoto at least once in the future, so I can get a taste of some of that oh-so-lucky, good health water. Even with the main attraction closed, we had a lot of fun visiting some of the other halls and shrines.

For instance, on the premises was Jishu Jinja, a shrine that boasts a famous love stone often visited by young hopefuls. Unlike the drinking water gig, ensuring a happy love life involves something slightly resembling an obstacle course- though not quite so difficult. Essentially, two rocks are positioned about 50 feet from one another. If you can get from one rock to the other with your eyes closed, you're ensured success in love. If you should fail.... well, you won't be cursed to be alone forever per se... but apparently it'll take a long time to meet that special someone. If, however, you're not ready to wait until middle age to meet the One, you can have someone guide you- like I did (and most everyone else). Note: using someone's help to get between rocks likewise predicts that you'll need help achieving love with a go-between. (I'm soooo not making up these random rules, it's just what the pamphlet said.)

















Kinkakuji
Hmm... there's not too much to say about Kinkakuji other than that it is a golden temple. It is a landmark of Kyoto, and all of Japan for that matter- so its definitely worth a look. Though I would advise bringing an umbrella in case it rains... I didn't and got soaked wandering through the lovely (and rather extensive) grounds that surround the temple.


Food and Transportation
Kyoto has an awesome bus system that took us just about everywhere we needed to go for a paltry 500 yen (all day pass). Also, when we went to the ticket stand by the train station, the ticket sellers were ready with English maps in hand to see us on our way, so I would definitely say the bus is the way to go.

As for food in Kyoto- it's awesomely delicious. For lunch we went to this place that had a set meal for 600 yen~ For dinner we found this yaki niku place (Japanese BBQ). It was tucked away on a side street, easy to pass up since it was only advertised by a small sign... That's what makes traveling in Japan, or any country for that matter, an adventure. Some of the best meals or shops can be found tucked away on small winding roads behind inconspicuous doors. About the dinner itself, it was an adventure to say the least.... It would have been much better if we knew the Japanese for the various "types" of meat, but since we didn't- we just ordered most everything they had. Some of the meat turned out to be melt-in-your-mouth delicious... some very fatty.... some cartilagey...
There's so much to see in Kyoto and yet we barely skimmed the surface! But it was an awesome day trip and even though we felt ready to crash after our waffle/parfait desserts, it was an excellent day.

(PS. Sorry these posts are way late in coming, I'll be done with Day 3 soon I hope and then I can get back to posting about more everyday things, ciao)

0 comments: