Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Time Warp

Obviously I fell into an abyss for the last few days/weeks/month so let's just pretend we've fished our handy little time machine out of our 4次元ポケット (4-dimensional pocket) and... what? Gasp! You don't have a 4-dimensional pocket?! And worse, you don't know recognize the pop culture reference?!?! For shame--> let the school lesson begin.

I'm of course referring to the 4次元ポケット of ドラえもん (Doraemon), only the coolest robotic cat ever. It's a famous manga series that developed over time into a huge franchise... So much so that pretty much any tourist site you visit in Japan is assured to have Doraemon paraphernalia. Once I even found Doraemon pencil cases in a dollar store... in the suburbs of Illinois. If Chuck Norris is everywhere at all times, I think Doraemon would come in at a close second.

ドラえもん was probably my first exposure to Japanese pop culture. I remember being all of 7 years old and watching this crazy blue bear-looking thing going crazy for dorayaki and using these cool gadgets to help his friend run away from the neighborhood bully. Up until I did PII program I was pretty consistent with getting ドラえもん keychains and stuffed animals when in Japan, but I've since become won over by the cute overload known as リラ熊... more on that in another post.

The basic premise of the Doraemon series is that he was sent back in time to help out a cheeky little boy named Nobita so that he doesn't ruin his future and that of his descendants. Nobita, being really lazy (which gets annoying after a while), always tries to use one of Doraemon's gadgets for a quick solution, only to have things blow up in his face. Things turn out well in the end, but only after Nobita has learned a lesson about the wrongness of procrastinating, lying, etc.

Anyways, I'm going to go back and write entries for the weeks I missed. I think I can even be sneaky and list them under the dates when they should have been posted so sorry if that's confusing at first. For now at least, back to the future.

0 comments: