Friday, June 19, 2009

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots


Random title, but this is a fabulous song so let's go with it.

The Yalies made one last group 遠足 (field trip) to the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka. It was hands down awesome. I'm a huge fan of Miyazaki's films so it was a personal treat, but the grounds are so lovely I think even non-Ghibli studio fans would like it. In order to get there, we all met at Kichijo-ji station and then walked down Kichijo-ji street and through Inokashira Park to get to the museum. There are a lot of nice shops and cafes along the way, so it sets a good mood for a visit to the museum which according to their website is:

A museum that is interesting and which relaxes the soul
A museum where much can
be discovered
A museum based on a clear and consistent philosophy
A museum where those seeking enjoyment can enjoy, those seeking to ponder can ponder, and those seeking to feel can feel
A museum that makes you feel more enriched when
you leave than when you entered!

Yeah~ I'd say the museum was a bit trippy. I especially like these rooms that were crammed top to bottom with all these gorgeous photos, books, and just random props that I assume Miyazaki uses for inspiration for his films. So gorgeous! I seriously want to plaster my room with pictures of rice fields and the like when I get back to Chicago. Alas, people aren't allowed to take pictures inside the museum, but there are some pretty nice ones at this site called GhibliWorld (along with other news updates on what's going on at Studio Ghibli.) Check it out if you are so inclined.

Side note: I guess a lot of the stuff at the museum is for little kids like the huge plushy Cat Bus from となりのトトロ, but sometimes it's nice to just step out of the urban jungle that is Tokyo and go on a mini-adventure through the woods.

PS. If you feel like heading to Mitaka, don't forget you have to buy your tickets in advance at Lawson's Loppi Stations!

1 comments:

Desmond said...

I miss you Cristina!