Sunday, September 28, 2008

Girls Just Want to Have Fun

I originally decided on this song/blog title because I thought I'd talk about IUC classes. My morning class consists of all girl students, and I thought it was way too cute that my advisor/morning teacher suggested that we all develop (our language skills in particular) as "flowers" throughout the semester. I'll save academic talk for later though and get to some more interesting talk.

Last week my host sister from Okayama, Natsuko, came to visit Yokohama!! She had a week off from work so decided to come and pay a visit. I last saw Natsuko during PII's 中休み when we met up in Osaka to go to Universal Studios Japan.

Natsuko is soon to move into her own place in Okayama, so we kicked off her visit with some major (apartment goods) shopping. I picked up this nifty koala mouse and mouse pad which I desperately needed since the mouse track pad on my computer heats up and burns my finger when I'm on the computer for too long (eg. always.) It was so cute I decided to talk about it for my "salesman" speech where we had to give a mini-commercial and use all those nifty 敬語 (polite speech) phrases.


Turns out Natsuko has an old friend from her waitressing days who also lives in Yokohama. We met up for dinner and drinks and he invited us to go clubbing!! Natsuko had to leave for Okayama earlier than expected, but it was a great night out for all the Yalies. Note: Clubbing in Japan is NOT for the faint of heart...

1) Trains stop running at 1:00a.m. which means prepare to
a. leave early
b. leave early morning... like 5:00a.m.
2) Unlike the hipper states in the U.S., clubs are NOT smoke-free.... you will leave REEKING of ashtray
3) Most Japanese people are not big dancers... I'd say more like swayers, which can bring back flashes of 3rd grade when everyone sort of just chats and eyes the dance floor longingly...
4) Speaking of flashbacks, the music selection tends to be 90's rich and only special requests brought us forward to circa 2002.
In any case, it was a blast! Though as you can see- we were pretty tired afterward. But what more perfect way to end the night/day than with a stop by Mos Burger, mmm. That's right. We stayed up till 7a.m. so we could go to MosBurger as soon as it opened and get some hamburger deliciousness. Who knows what adventures next week will bring?

0 comments: