Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wake You Up

I came to the sad realization that, seriously, 98% of Japanese tv shows are in some way or another centered around food. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE food- talking about it, making it, and especially eating it... but when it comes to tv, I tend to prefer watching about non-cuisine related stuff like offices, hospitals, and fashion magazine companies (The Office, Grey's Anatomy, and Ugly Betty respectively). But that's the thing,... the Japanese tv networks somehow manage to take every show and relate it back to food. Take for instance this variety show I happened to turn on randomly. It started out like a documentary on rural life by the sea...

Or so I thought...

It quickly turned into a contest between the various hosts to see who could capture the most seafood, which was then cooked and served up to said hosts. How I rooted for those little octopuses... poor little guys.

Anyways, that put me off food tv shows for a while, which led me to stumble on this gem of Japanese tv shows... ケイタイ捜査官7(Keitai Sousakan 7). It's about a walking cellphone... a walking, talking cellphone that fights against cyber crimes no less. The cellphones are called Phone Bravers. The star of the show is Phone Braver 07 who is owned by this punky high school kid, with the main villain being Phone Braver 01... who I'm guessing has some sad sob story on how he lost his "buddy" (aka owner).

The theme song was just too hilarious (and ridiculous) to pass up- please take a gander.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the preview, now I know what a little of Japanese tv is like!