Saturday, September 13, 2008

Know Your Chicken

If there was one thing that I was seriously concerned about with regards to my yearlong stay here in Japan, it was definitely how I was going to manage to feed myself... Sure, コンビニ food is all well and good, but after a week or two those prepackaged sweetbreads just lose their magic.

But, it seems like the study abroad gods have heard my prayers- It turns out there's this awesome (new かな?) blog on making BENTOS.... AND IT'S WRITTEN IN ENGLISH!!! On top of that, it even has very helpful timeline diagrams to show you when you should be preparing specific ingredients AND has vegan/vegetarian-friendly recipes (which are actually quite a pain to hunt down in Japan). I kind of wish I had found out about this blog before I had my mom send a very big, very heavy (read: expensive to ship) Japanese cookbook... In any case, this site should prove to be very useful to future Light fellows. Happy Cooking!

http://justbento.com/
http://justhungry.com/ (another useful blog on Japanese food)

side note: These pics are from the recent Yalie dinner experiment 1. There was some uneasiness about how the gyoza would turn out and that a shockingly large amount of potatoes were used to make the curry, but it all worked out in the end. よかったわ!(^~^)モグモグ

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well i see you can atleast keep yourself from starving little girl!!!